Requesting Entity: Bureau of Internal Revenue
Issues Concern: Composition of the Bids and Awards Committee
Request for clarification on the appropriate rank of the officers who may be appointed as regular members in the Bids and Awards Committee (BAC) of the BIR.
To ensure BIRís strict compliance with the IRR-A of R.A. 9184 on the specific requirements for BAC composition, we are providing you with the specific guidelines to be observed pertinent thereto, to wit:
1) The BAC shall be composed of at least five (5) members and shall not exceed seven (7). Of the five (5), three (3) are regular members and the rest are provisional members.
2) The BAC regular members are:
i) An officer, who is at least a third ranking permanent (plantilla) official of the procuring entity, who shall be designated as the Chairman;
ii) An officer, who holds at least a third ranking permanent (plantilla) position, with knowledge, experience and/or expertise in procurement who to the extent possible represents the legal or administrative area of the bureau;
iii) An officer, who holds at least a third ranking permanent (plantilla) position, with knowledge, experience and/or expertise in procurement who to the extent possible represents the finance area of the bureau;
3) The Head of the Procuring Entity shall designate the members of the BAC, its Chairman and the Vice-Chairman;
4) The Chairman and the Vice-Chairman shall be regular members of the BAC.
5) The BAC members shall be appointed for a term of one (1) year only, reckoned from the date of appointment. However, the Head of the Procuring Entity may renew such appointment at his discretion. In accordance with the thrust to professionalize the procurement organization, Heads of Procuring Entities are encouraged to re-appoint to the BAC those members who have shown efficiency and probity in the performance of their duties;
6) The following officers of the procuring entity are disqualified from membership in the BAC:
a. The Head of the Bureau;
b. The official who approves procurement transactions;
c. The Chief Accountant / Head of the Accounting Unit and his/her staff as regular members